Wednesday, November 08, 2006

7 (Prince)


Language: French

Caught a little unprepared for the good election news, so I had to work this one up in kind of a hurry. Sorry, Prince, you deserved better.

On the other hand, I could have gone with "Promise of a New Day (Paula Abdul)," and didn't, 'cause this is a better song, so.

Chet Culver, douche though he is, won in Iowa (54-44), which I guess is good. Democrats took both houses of the Iowa state legislature (it had been just one, I think -- hard to keep track when it changes every other year).

Iowa and South Dakota have kind of a weird relationship: we acknowledge that we're similar, among ourselves, but we don't like it when anybody else says so. Kind of like a sibling thing. But good job, little Ess-Dee, on voting down your abortion referendum. Now if you could only freak out a tad less on gay marriage . . . .

CNN is saying that IA-02 (my House district) went to Loebsack, the Democrat, by 51-49. One feels mildly bad about this, since Leach was one of the better Republicans. I mean, if it was Rep. Leach vs. Sen. Grassley, there'd be no contest -- I pretty much think Grassley is the devil incarnate. Or, you know, one of them. (So many to choose from.) But Leach was a Republican, in a year when it was bad to be a Republican, nor was he perfect by any stretch. And I'm sure he'll do just fine for himself. I may be a liberal, but my heart doesn't bleed all that much for the wealthy and well-connected when they have a setback.

The other interesting race for me was IA-01, which covers northeast Iowa: we've been bombarded with all kinds of TV ads for the past couple months about Bruce Braley (D) and Mike Whalen (R). One of Whalen's ads even noted that Braley had been voted a "Peace Candidate" by the National Communist Party. And I believe there was also something about how he had criticized the repeal of the estate tax, and was critical of the way the Iraq War was being conducted, and so on and so forth. "Bruce Braley: wrong for Iowa," being the message.

And I'm like, my goodness, Communists like him? And he likes taxes which will never ever apply to me? And he's in favor of peace? Can I vote for him even though I'm not in his district? I can't help but think that maybe Whalen and his advisors misestimated the area. Iowa has a reputation for being a hick state, and even occasionally deserves it, but we're not automatically against peace, or rich people paying taxes, for Chrissakes. We're not Kansas. And in this day and age, calling somebody a Communist sounds more like a joke than like a slam. How long has it been since we were afraid of Communists? So it's entirely possible that Whalen did some of Braley's advertising for him.

-Jessi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[a]
All seven and we will observe them falling;
they inconvenienced love, and we will smoke them all
with intellect and know-how.
Nobody in the whole universe will never compare.
I am maintaining with you and you are mine,
and together we'll like all spaces and hours:
thus, let's not cry during the day when each of the seven will die.

[repeat a]

And I've seen an angel go down to me,
and in its hand it holds the key:
words of compassion, the same words of peace.
And in the distance, army feet going (hut two three four, hut two three four),
but he sees them: we will observe them falling.

And we fix on sea sand,
and before us, animosities are held and issued.
We don't speak about the love, only the blasphemy that's
in the distance, and six others will curse me,
but it's very exact (which is to say, very exact),
because I'll observe them falling. (four five six seven)

Each of the seven and we will observe them falling;
they inconvenienced love, and we will smoke them all
with intellect and know-how.
Nobody in the whole universe will never compare.
I am maintaining with you and you are mine,
and together we'll like all spaces and hours:
thus, let's not cry during the day when each of the seven will die.

(never age)

And we see each bad heart, and plague, and river of blood
will surely die, in spite of
their seven tears, but do not fear!
For in the distance, twelve hearts (as of now)
are always here. You and I, we will be here.

There is a new city, with streets of gold.
Thus informed, the young people will never age.
And -- oh? There will be no death, for with each breath,
the voice of "bold" colors sings much of a song, which if that is,
sing it while we observe them falling (autumn).

[a]

(never age)
(never age)
(never age)

No comments: