Saturday, November 11, 2006

I'm Too Sexy (Right Said Fred)

Language: French

Not planning to make a habit of including the video in these posts; among other things, You Tube links have an annoying tendency to go dead in fairly short order. But with this one, I couldn't resist.

I have relatively precise memories of when this song came out, because I had just started college and was getting accustomed to dorm life. One of the girls down the hall bought this song on cassette single, and the B side of the cassette was a Spanish version of the song. Not speaking Spanish fluently myself, and being curious about how things translated from language to language (an interest which has remained with me, as you can see), I encouraged my Spanish-speaking roommate, whom we will call "S.," to listen to the Spanish version and provide a translation, for comparison purposes.

So S. listened to the song, and I'm all like, yeah? So? How's it different from the English version? What does it say? What's he singing?

And in the very best deadpan I have ever seen in my entire life, S. shrugged her shoulder and said, with a certain amount of deliberateness, as though talking to a slightly brain-damaged child, "He's very sexy."

-Jessi



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm too sexy for my sexy love,
for my love of activity.
You love to leave me.

I'm too sexy for my,
too sexy (so sexy) for my shirt. The shirt
wounds me, and it's too sexy
for Milan too. Sexy
for Milan, New York and Japan.

And I'm too sexy for your
part, too sexy for your part.
Am I to dance in the manner of disco? Not that music.

I'm a model: you know what I
want to say. I make my little light on the footbridge, yeah, and
on the footbridge, on the footbridge, yeah,
I make my little light on the footbridge.

I am too sexy for my car by far, too sexy
for my too-sexy car.
I am too sexy for my too-sexy hat, and
what do you think of my hat for that?

I am a model; you know I want to say that.
And I make my little light on the footbridge,
yeah, on the footbridge, on the footbridge, yeah,
I shake my little tush on the footbridge.

I am too sexy for my,
too sexy for my,
too sexy for my --

Since I am a model, you know what I want to say,
and I make my little light on the footbridge.
Yeah, on the footbridge, on the footbridge,
yeah, I shake my little tush on the footbridge.

I am too sexy for my cat, too sexy
for my cat, of the cat.
Poor cat, poor cat of
mine, which I am too sexy for. The too-sexy love
loves to leave me, for my love of activity.

And I am too sexy for this song.

No comments: