Sunday, September 24, 2006

Possibilities (Let's Make Money From a Series) (Pet Shop Boys)


Language:

The photo here to the right of the post is a cast photo for the TV show "Beauty and the Geek," which according to its first-season promos was brought to us by "the daring mind of Ashton Kutcher." Just take a moment to get your head around that.

Okay.

I actually liked the show, despite hating "reality" shows as a genre and having more or less sworn never to watch one again a few years back. The main thing I dislike about this sort of show is the artificial conflict producers feel compelled to generate: I would actually be more interested in seeing people getting along in a completely ridiculous situation than in seeing people fighting for money. But whatever. Clearly I'm the exception. This group mostly did get along, which is maybe why I kept watching.

For the record: I was rooting for Erika and Joe.

Anyway. The basic premise was, a bunch of pretty-but-dumb girls team up with a bunch of geeky-but-smart guys, complete various pointless tasks, and eliminate one another gradually until there's a single couple standing, who wins money. This song was used as the theme song for the show, which was not only wildly appropriate but saved Ashton Kutcher's daring mind the trouble of choosing someone to write a new theme, which wouldn't have been as good anyway.

I'm told that this song is basically the mission statement for the Pet Shop Boys as well.

-Jessi

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I obtain the brains, you'll obtain the views:
let's make money from a series.
You obtain the brawn; I'll obtain the brains:
let's make a series.
I had a sufficient plan, from jerking around in all the mess: I
parked my automobile outside, which frightened it. I'm not working: I don't.
I look for the participant. Someone fixed the thing, which got after it.
Ask this question: do you want to be rich?

I obtain the brains, you obtain the views:
let's make money from a series.
You obtain the brawn, I'll obtain the brains:
let's make money from a series.
They did a study in the Sorbonne; you can say they gave me a form
to put on. We could be perfected in mathematics.
Program the computer; I can select the time.
If you have an inclination to do crime, then I get you.

Oh, there are many possibilities
if you know when to accept them, you know?
There'll be many possibilities --
or if not, then, you can make them, break them. I'll make.

I obtain the brains, you obtain the views:
let's make money from a series.
Let's make a series from
money.
[Aahhhhh]
[Aahhhhh]
[Aahhhhh - bu di ba di, yes da Di du]

I know smog to be single-minded, you see.
How do feel about it? I assume you'll come on a jaunt with me.
I look for a participant, regardless of the expenditures.
I eat seriously, you know: it makes my feelings thoughtful.

Let's [obtained the brains]
make [obtain the views]
Let's make money from a series. [Oooh! money!]
[let's] You obtained the brawn,
[make] I'll obtain the brains:
let's make money from a series. [Oooh! money!]
I obtained the brains, [obtained the brains]
you obtain the views: [obtain the views]
let's make a series of money, from money. [Oooh! money!]

No comments: