Saturday, September 09, 2006

Physically (Olivia Newton John)


Language: German

I remember a sort of guilty confusion about this song, when I first heard it. I understood that there was something kind of dirty about it, or at least that there was dirty intent, but had no idea what this might be in reference to. And then it didn't help that it was frequently presented as being about aerobics, because of the video, which was in retrospect a pretty transparent ploy to keep the prudish from paying attention to the lyrics but managed to confuse me still further.

Also interesting: Olivia Newton-John is apparently the granddaughter of Max Born, who won the 1954 Nobel Physics Prize for his work on the probability density function of the Schrodinger Equation (q.v.). There's probably a joke to be made in there somewhere, but damned if I can figure out what it is. Some kind of "physics"/"physical" pun, no doubt.

-Jessi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I know the legends of all things; you received
a good discussion.
(May a touch straighten my form.)
I don't mean that you "know" yourself; what
took you to that familiar restaurant? That
film suggested
speaking to the left, then giving it anything.
It was horizontal.

[chorus:]
We leave you a systematical test, systematical test;
I would like to remain physical.
We leave a systematical test: receive it in
your body. Your body received the discussion, so leave me to hear it. Speak
your body to me; let me hear it speak.

I am, I am being good.
Patiently trying to hold my hands on the table,
I'll back this thing strongly. I get it,
if you know what I mean.

I is surely, you understands, my criterion, which
we know each other that, religiously
you began to know that you get from
the animal in me

[chorus 3 times]

We leave you an animal, animal,
I'll receive the animal:
it would like to be received. (The animal in us left.)
Hear me: your body lets itself speak.
Your body lets me hear itself speak.

No comments: