Friday, August 18, 2006

Here Comes Rain (Eurythmics)


Language: Spanish

That radar picture is moderately current, or at least it was when I began to post this. Iowa City seems to have had an unusually wet, cool, and stormy summer this year. I'm sure that's bad for somebody or another (farmers?), but I like it. In fact, it's pretty much what I look for in a summer.

This song has a bad tendency to get stuck in my head, particularly when it's raining for real. There's a whole set of them, actually:

Another Song About the Rain (Cracker)
Red Rain (Peter Gabriel)
Rain (Madonna)
Driving in the Rain (John Wesley Harding)
I Can't Stand the Rain (Tina Turner)
I'm Only Happy When It Rains (Garbage)
I Wish it Would Rain (Nanci Griffith)
No Rain (Blind Melon)
Purple Rain (Prince)

Which means probably we're looking at a Rain Trilogy happening. And that's good. There hasn't been a trilogy in a while.

-Jessi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

here comes the rain again
that falls in my head again, like a memory
that lowers my head like a new emotion
that desire to walk in the open wind,
a desire to speak lovingly
I wish to plunge myself in his ocean
I am he with whom you rain

loving me as a baby
so walk with me to it
as the lovers
Speak with me,
since the lovers do.

Here comes the rain, that rain again
in my head, like a tragedy that
tears me a new emotion to separate (like "Oooooh")
that desire to breathe in the open wind
desire to kiss me lovingly
I wish to plunge in his ocean
I am he with whom you rain

char it, baby, to me
so lovingly

Here comes the rain, that falls again
in my head like a memory, that
lowers my head as a new emotion.
(it comes here again, he comes here again)
That desire to walk in the open wind,
desire to speak lovingly:
I wish to plunge myself in his ocean.
I am he with whom you rain

No comments: