Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Rabbet is in the Heart (Dee-Lite)

Language: Italian

The whole one-hit wonder phenomenon is odd to me. I mean, I never had their album, so I can't say for sure, but I doesn't seem to me like Dee-Lite were any worse at what they do than, say, the Bee Gees, who did something similar, and yet the Bee Gees racked up lots of hits and Dee-Lite didn't. Even if your point of comparison is the B-52s (also similar, though in a different way), there's no real rhyme or reason to who gets famous and who languishes in semi-obscurity.

Which I think there's something in Ecclesiastes about one-hit wonders. (Eccl. 9:11, specifically, though the whole book works pretty well if you're, like, Toni Basil, and you're wanting to put things into perspective.)

In any case, they all seemed personable enough. Maybe there was some heavy Ecstasy use or something. Bands often blame drug abuse when something goes awry. Or maybe Lady Miss Kier blew all their money on wigs: stranger things have happened.

In any event: fare well, Dee-Lite. I wish we'd had more time together.

-Jessi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[sample:]It's going to dance,
it's going to dance,
it's going to dance,
and possess a sure diversion.

A cold one turned upside down on my rear end,
I maintain it with satisfaction. It filled up when we were made.
What satisfaction will come of that? (I) I could not ask the other one.
(I, I, I)
No, I couldn't ask another:
I'm not digging your rabbet that deeply.
Walls? Only the bridge.
My plate from supper, my succotash desire. (sing the child)
I couldn't ask another. (Uh-huh, for uh-huh)
(I, I, I)
No, I couldn't ask another.

The rabbet is in the rabbet,
the heart is in the heart.

The rabbet is in the rabbet
of the heart.
(ah-ah-ah-ah)
Their rabbet is in hula.
The rabbet of the heart
(ah-ah-ah-ah)
is in the rabbet.
The heart is in the (ah-ah-ah) heart.

We move towards the nth circle, going through the depth
to Horton. I feel that.
(Oh,) I couldn't ask another,
(I, I, I,) no, I couldn't ask another spirit to DJ. (spirit)
He said to me, "It was on a seam that cannot be sold."
He's exquisite, not incorrect: I'm just catty, and vanquished.
(I) They could not ask another one to you. ***

(Sing)

The rabbet is in the rabbet of the heart
(Ah-ah-ah-ah, ne-na-na-na-na)
is in the rabbet of the heart,
(Ne-na-na-na-na)
is in the rabbet of the heart,
the rabbet of the
(Ah-ah-ah-ah)
heart is in the rabbet of the heart: is in the heart.
(Ah-ah-ah)

The rabbet is in the rabbet of the –
(Ah-ah-ah-ah, yeah)
heart is in the rabbet of the –
(Ah-ah-ah)
heart is in the rabbet of the heart is in the –
(Ah-ah-ah)
heart.

No comments: