Saturday, October 07, 2006

Fight for Your Right (Beastie Boys)


Language: Russian

I'm being kind of non sequiturish with this entry, but I wanted to talk about "Battlestar Galactica," the SciFi series, and this was the closest I could get to a song that was related somehow.

I've been hearing for a while now that "BG" is a good show. A few people have said best, even. Wasn't sure I believed this, what with "The Office"1 and "Dead Like Me"2 and "Lost"3 and "House"4 and "Metalocalypse"5 and so forth.

But. The husband and I ran across a clip show last week that was, I guess, supposed to catch new viewers up on "BG" in time for the third season, and it was, I guess, okay. I mean, nobody likes clip shows. But it wasn't badly done or anything. And then this week they had two new episodes, or possibly one two-hour episode, and they were pretty damned cool. One wishes that the show could be funnier. I mean, I get that the near-extermination of the human species isn't going to be a laugh fest, but an occasional dark, dry joke to break the tension wouldn't kill anybody, you'd think.

So anyway. If you haven't seen it, try to. It's worth checking out. And look at "Dead Like Me" and "Metalocalypse" too, while you're at it. And remember to party as circumstances permit.

-Jessi

1(NBC, Thursdays, 7:30 PM Central) It seems like maybe it's starting to run out of jokes, but they're good jokes.
2(SciFi, Tuesdays, 7 PM Central) Although this show has a tendency to precipitate existential crises for me, I still like it. It's a little like what "Buffy" would have been like if Buffy had been going around slaying people instead of vampires and demons and stuff. Funny, occasionally brilliant, and George is adorable. Worth all the existential angst and then some.
3(ABC, Wednesdays, 8 PM Central) I understand how there could be people who don't care for it so much. But it and "Battlestar Galactica" are the only shows that really hold my attention, and continue to hold my attention for a while after the show is over.
4(Fox, Tuesdays, 7 PM Central, plus whenever they have a scheduling hole to fill) Hasn't impressed me at ALL this season so far; I still like the characters, but I think possibly they need to do something different with the whole patient-of-the-week formula. Maybe one patient who stays sick for three nonconsecutive episodes? A whole hour devoted to clinic duty? Focus on somebody besides House? Something. 'Cause the forumla is getting tired. Also, have you noticed that they guess Wilson's Disease or non-Hodgkins lymphoma for everybody, at some point or another? Is this an inside joke? Should I get this?
5(Cartoon Network, Sundays, 10:45 PM Central) I have no idea what to say about this one because I have no idea why I like it. Nor can I think of anything illuminating to compare it to. It's very much its own thing.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kick it!

You wake up late for man school, you don't wanna go.
You ask your mom, "if you please?" but she still says, "no!"
You didn't pass two types, or any homework,
but your teacher preaches as if you'll be a certain type of jerk.

You gotta fight! For your right! To attend the paaaarrrty!

They grabbed you smoking and he said, "Anyway."
That hypocrite smokes two men a day.
You will be living by your resistance: which house is this now?
Mom threw away your best bust mag!

You gotta fight! For your right! To attend the paaaarrrty!

Don't take a step from this house if clothing is worn first,
I will kick you from my house if you don't cut that, your hair.
Mom busted inside and she said, "Where's that noise?"
Aw, Mom, you know exactly which it is: it's Beastie Boys!

No comments: