Thursday, July 13, 2006

Losing My Religion (R.E.M.)

Language: Italian

I worried, as anyone would, about whether R.E.M. would make suitable Babelpop subjects. Their lyrics do often sound like they've already been run through Babelfish. I mean, what would you expect to happen to a line like "Mister Fred Blassie in a breakfast mess?"1

I think I was right to worry, now that I've done it. A word here, a word there, but it's still really really easy to see the original song through the changes. Oh well.

-Jessi

(1What happens in German is, "They blow Mr. Fred in confusion at breakfast." I'm sure we've all had mornings like that. It seems plausible that German is the only language that results in interesting R.E.M. lyrics.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The life is greater:
it's larger than you, and you aren't me.
The lengths that I will go to,
the distance in your eyes –
oh, no, I have dictated too much of that;
I have installed it.

That one in the angle is me;
that is me in the reflector,
that loses my religion,
that tries to continue with you,
and I don't know if I can make it.
Oh, no, I have I dictated too much,
I haven't said enough.
You felt the thought that (to me) is the laughing;
thought that they have to feel to sing.
I've thought that they've seen tasks to try.

Every whisper,
awakening every hour, I am choosing confessions of mine,
that they try to maintain. An eye to you,
a hurt, lost, foolish and blinded –
Oh, no, I have said that too much;
I have installed it.

Consider this
the suggestion of the century;
consider this
the sliding that's carried me,
that has come to lack knees.
What if all these fantasies come flailing around?
Has said too much –
the thought, that is; you felt my laughing.
They have to sing, that thought is felt,
I have thought them up tasks that they have to try. I saw.

But that one was a dream, right?
That was a dream, right?

No comments: