Friday, June 09, 2006

We Were the Road (Barbra Streisand)

Language: Russian

(This is the second song in my "road" trilogy.)

Here Barbra informs us that "Memories may be beautiful, yet too heavy, to recall in sequence." It's so true. Once time I had a memory that weighed nineteen pounds, and I never ever remembered it in sequence. It was all unstuck in time, like Billy Pilgrim. Crazy shit. A couple times I think it was even somebody else's memory. So Barbra is a pretty wise chick. Let's all take her words to heart:

-Jessi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Memories
Like angles of my reason –
memories and misty watercolors.
We were expensive,
the scattered images
of leftward smiles,
after we gave the smiles to one another,
for we were the road.

Can it be that it was so whole, simply after this,
or did time rerecord each line?
If they made a chance, they'd do all of us again.
Tell me about us. Could we?

Memories
may be beautiful, yet
too heavy, to recall in sequence.
We simply forget to select.

So it will be by laughter
that we recall
(when we recall)
we were the road.

So the laughter will be,
which we'll recall
(when we recall)
we were the road.

No comments: