Monday, June 19, 2006

Sun Of the Jail (Soundgarden)

Language: Spanish

I almost want to say, this has got to be a glitch of some kind, but I hope it's not.

Black Hole, run through Spanish, returns Jail, but Black-Hole, with the hyphen, ends up Black-I pierce. It doesn't make sense for a hyphen to matter so much, but in any case you've gotta admit, equating jail and black hole is a pretty awesome thing for a language to do. Black holes as prisons for light waves, prisons as lightless holes: both ways it not only works but elucidates. Way to go, Spanish! (Or maybe Babelfish!)

-Jessi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ill in my eyes,
nobody knows in disguises.
The serpent hides the face, lies
in the sun's heat. My boils of dishonor, that the
stench of the summer
watches underneath the dead black sky,
call my name through the cream,
and I will hear him shout again

Sun of the jail, you
don't come far
to wash rain.
The sun comes from the jail: you, you.

Not stuttering, humid cold
and tired wind robs hot friends.
The time for the honest men goes away,
and sometimes also serpents who wish.
My youth walks far in my shoes. A dream
and request to maintain
hell-sent sky.
Nobody sings more absently than you.

Sun of the jail, you
don't come far
to wash rain.
The sun comes from the jail: not
you, not you.

(Hang my head, drown my fear
as soon as you all disappear. . . .)

No comments: